Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Driver Crossreference

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Nice reference! I know you can't judge much by specs alone, but from this chart it looks like I'd want a pair of 604-8H's for my first pair of 604's if I take the 604 plunge (which I'm seriously considering). They've got Alnico magnets, tangerines and Mantarays, and supposedly a response down to 20 hz. Looks like they also came with the "dual band" crossover with h.f. compensation.

    Has anyone here ever heard a pair of these? I've heard people here say that while 604's are great sounding speakers, they have a narrow sweet spot as far as h.f. dispersion. Does the Mantaray on the H's help in that regard? Am I losing much as far as dispersion if I go with a later pair of G's (which also have tangerines) which have the muliticell horn and do I lose anything else other than having a narrower "sweet spot"? Do the H's and G's have a "real" response down to 20 hz? Are H's rare or do they pop up for sale every so often?

    Also, has anyone ever heard the GPA 604-8H-II or 604-8H-III. Would the dual band Altec 604-8H crossover work well with them or would I need the GPA 604 crossover which appears to have no LPads/Pots? Thanks!

    EDIT: I don't have the skills or experience to build good cabinets for these. If I buy a pair from Ebay or GPA, I'd probably drive down to Georgia to pick up a pair of these cabs. Do they look like they'd be a good choice?

    Built to Order Altec 620 Model 17 Cabinets 604 605 Coax Speakers Oak Walnut | eBay

    BTW, this seller says (down in the questions section of his ad) the cabs pictured are 620's but that he can also build Stonehenge V's. Any preference among duplex owners?

    SECOND EDIT: Looks like the later G's also had Mantarays. Is there much difference between these and the H's?
    Last edited by voice of the theater; February 25th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Driver Crossreference


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    I have seen 604-G's with mantas.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    Thanks OG. That is more convenient.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Driver Crossreference


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    To answer your additional questions, the 604h has a better crossover.

    I have seen- 604E with tangerine, 604g with old phase plug/multicell, 604g tangerine/multicell, and 604g with Manta. I suggest checking the speakers you buy.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #26
    HB Super Moderator
    Driver Crossreference


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    Yup ! Mine came with the metal phase plugs and what looks to be low mileage 23744 diaphragms.

    @ VOT The 620 and the Stonehenge have basically the same internal volume of 9 cubic feet.The only differences is that the 620 may have a little better bass extension due to it's wider baffle but the Stonehenge is taller and has a smaller foot print..They both sound great IMHO ! Side by side you would be hard pressed to tell a difference IMO.

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    A being 604 8' g's with tangerines and m19's with 802 g's and 416b's right now. My 604's can go toe toe with the M19's with some recordings. I hope to put mine in a MLTL cab so in the bass department it is a little fairer fight. With these speakers for me it is all about the recording.

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Driver Crossreference

    I stumbled across this thread looking for something else.

    AB - were you going to make this sticky? I think it is a good thread to consider doing so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.